Monday, September 20, 2010

Baby D

I am so excited to join the blogging world.  In the recent months I've been intrigued and inspired by reading the blogs of others.  I've been throwing around the idea of starting a blog for a few weeks now and have had one friend in particular who has been encouraging me to try it out.

So why the title of the blog?  My husband and I found out we were expecting our first baby on Valentine's Day this year.  Our due date was set for October 14 and it was such an exciting time for us.  I've dreamed about being a mommy since I was a little girl and I've always said it is the one thing I've always known I wanted to be.  Soon after finding out we were expecting we started dreaming of names for the baby (we decided we wouldn't find out what we were having and make it a surprise).  At our first appointment we were able to hear the baby's strong heartbeat and had an ultrasound scheduled a few weeks later.  We saw Baby D for the first time in March at 12 weeks.  Once we passed from the first trimester to the second trimester, we were told that our chances of miscarriage went down.  Each week was a new mile marker and I felt more at ease as time went on.  I loved reading the updates from Baby Center telling me what Baby D was doing in there and how the baby was growing and developing.
12 weeks - face

12 weeks - arms

At 20 weeks we had an ultrasound to see how things were going in there and to determine if the placenta-previa I had was still a factor.  I was nervous and excited to see how our baby had grown.  While in the ultrasound room I wasn't really able to see the screen.  We got print outs of a few pictures and honestly, I was a bit disappointed.  I had this idea of bringing home adorable profile pictures of our baby's face but the tech was having trouble getting pictures of the baby due to the position the baby was in.

Josh and I went to lunch and then had an appointment to go over our ultrasound.  We spent the lunch time discussing the fact that while the pictures weren't ideal, we were glad to see our baby again.

We only waited a few minutes in the exam room before the doctor came in.  I honestly don't remember the exact words he said, but I do remember thinking it was the worst practical joke ever.  The doctor explained to us that he had bad news and that our baby was not alive anymore.  I couldn't believe what he was saying and it was clear it wasn't real to Josh either.  It must've been the shock of the moment but I don't remember getting really emotional about it until the ride home.  The doctor explained that I would need to go through labor and delivery very soon.  We decided that we would go home pack our bags for the hospital and go back to the hospital around 4:30 that day.

Grant David was born the next day at 10:52 in the morning.  I really could go on and on with all the details of what occurred in that 24 hour period.  I want to be careful what details I share with the world about that time though.  I will sum it up to say that while the day before when the doctor told me what I would have to do, I thought it was the worst option in the world.  How cruel to make a grieving mother go through labor when her child is no longer alive.  But in the end I realized how important it was for me to do that as Grant's mommy.

It  has been 109 days since that day.  In that time our faith has been increased beyond what we could've imagined.  Our relationships with everyone (and I do mean everyone) in our lives have been strengthened.  We've developed new relationships with people who share similar stories.  We've experienced the power of prayer in a way we'd never experienced it before. I wouldn't have chosen this path on my own.  I still would prefer to be a few weeks from my due date as I originally expected I would be at this point.  However, it has been amazing that this little boy that I didn't know, other than the connection a mother feels with her unborn child, has changed my life so dramatically.  It is my hope that our story, Grant's story, will continue to touch people's lives for years to come.

The purpose of this blog is to share our story of becoming parents and the hope we can have because of God's promises, share things that I find interesting and inspirational (sewing, papercrafting, saving money), and just encouraging people to take nothing for granted.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have started this and look forward to all your future thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm proud of you for stepping out and doing this. i look forward to reading everything you write! maybe seeing you blog will help me to be better about updating mine, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having the courage to put the story of your little boy Grant out there for others to read. Grant's short life changed yours, and the gift of that is something God can use in other people's lives. It also helps those of us who know you to understand better all you have been through and are going through as you continue to think about and love Baby D...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you met me in the parking lot and told me the news, it started the hardest 24 hours of my life. I am glad you both understood that I couldn't be anywhere else but at your side. You were so brave. Having watched you over the last several months I can just repeat that...you are so brave. Some things I cherish and admire...the bond between you and Josh, the maturity you have both gained, the fine character of my son-in-law, the way you have guided others through your grief, your connection to our Lord...I can't keep going because I can't see...but I want you to know that I love the mother you are and the one you will be. Soon. xxx Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love and admire your genuineness and willingness to be used by the Lord and to share your story. You and Josh are such gifts to us and we love you both so much.
    Grant has already made such an impact on our lives...
    xoxoxoo Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Cara, you are such an amazing woman...and I remember when you were just a crazy teenager, visiting us and hanging out like one of my own...you have been through more than most of us have been...and yet you remain so strong and so focused. I truly love you with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With your good news I was dancing on the table. And with your sad news I would wake in the middle of the night sobbing. I hurt for your pain, my friend, and for the loss of Grant...the baby boy I hadn't even realized I had come to love. I miss his life inside of you. I frequently find myself wanting to take this pain away for you. But then I remember that this is what God has allowed in your life because he knows this will bring him glory. And isn't that our purpose? I have appreciated you letting us all in right from the beginning...and I look forward to reading how God moves in your life. I love you. ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was moved to tears reading this Cara. Your strength and willingness to share your story is inspiring. You are SO brave. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to read what others have to say!