Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Rain

I love the rain.  The soaking, cleansing kind of rain.  Especially on a dark morning like this.  Josh has always loved the rain, even when he was in college and he had to walk to classes in it.  I can't say I loved the rain then, I think it just annoyed me because it would get the bottoms of my pants wet and make everything squeaky.  I started loving the rain a few months ago.  The night that I was in labor with Grant, it rained and stormed so hard  and it seemed so fitting for what we were experiencing inside the hospital.  As strange as it may sound, it almost seemed right that it stormed and the sky was angry.  It rained a lot in those first days/week (I'm not exactly sure what the time frame was now, that detail is blurry to me).  I remember reading complaining comments about the rain on Facebook, because not many people love rain in June, but I remember feeling again that it was fitting with how I felt at that time.

This morning, I'm having a good morning.  I was up while it was still dark out (my favorite) and I had time with Josh before he went to work.  But as I'm sitting here at my desk, I can hear the rain coming down in what sounds like waves or sheets and it is comforting to me.  It reminds me of a time that was extremely painful (both physically and emotionally) and while it is not something I want to go through again, it reminds me of that time of connection that I had with Grant.  This morning, that reminder is comforting to me.

2 comments:

  1. I also remember how fitting that it was that it was storming outside while there was a storm going on inside the hospital. It reminded me that Jesus completely understood and was seconding the emotion. I also felt refuge from the storm in the hospital surrounded by family, friends, and the amazing and compassionate hospital staff. I kept looking up at the white board where we had written "God is sovereign." He was, He is, He always will be...even in the biggest storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too remember leaving the hospital (which was a horrible feeling to leave you there when I just wanted to rescue from that moment) and seeing the dark and agry sky. I remember my Josh making a comment about it being fitting for the situation. I hope that is a reminder to us all that although God allows certain painful things to enter our life, he hurts right along with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to read what others have to say!