Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Orange Smilies

I just had a realization a few moments ago while peeling a navel orange.  For most of my life I've stuck to apples as my preferred fruit.  When I was a little girl my mom would peel the apple and then cut it up (she could even do the whole peel in one piece, impressive!).  I don't remember eating oranges as a child and I remember my mom saying she didn't enjoy peeling them.  I've never been the kind of girl who would grab a piece of fruit to take along as a snack.  Recently, I've discovered that I can eat a couple of Clementine oranges to ease my queasy stomach.  Because I know you can't get them all year long, I decided I'd better start buying regular oranges (also the price on regular oranges was better than the little cute minis).  Yesterday when I peeled my orange, I ended up with a lot of stuff under my nails and the orange was pretty well pulverized by the time I got to the eating part.  Then I tried it again today and it made yesterday's experience seem clean.  Then, it hit me.  This is why fruit people (people who like things other than apples and strawberries) cut oranges up when they bring fruit to share.  I used to think that was odd and maybe just a little lazy, but really it is genius.  Why would they spend so much time wrestling with the dumb orange when they could slice it up.  Plus who doesn't love a good orange smiley?

4 comments:

  1. i agree! was attempting to peel one for owen the other day and then watched mark cut it so nicely the next day and felt silly!

    I would love to know how your mom peels an apple in one peel---impressive! is there anything she can't do?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's exactly why I prefer fruit that other people have cut up for me. It just tastes better when no effort is required. :) Also, did you lose your Pampered Chef orange peeler? It's, quite literally, a God-sent contraption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a PC orange peeler. Sounds like I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the whole peel in one piece is impressive. peeling oranges stinks. i, like you love the box of "cuties" that is only around during winter. side not: do you know that the oranges in the florida (where i am from) grocery stores aren't nearly as good as the ones here. i think they ship all the good oranges out of state.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to read what others have to say!