Monday, March 7, 2011

Wooooah!

Ok, the title is my best impression of someone riding a horse or driving a carriage.  Sometimes I have to say that to myself, Woooooaaah Cara.  This isn't something new.  I believe I've posted about this before.  I'm so guilty of wanting to rush to the next thing and I'm afraid I miss the here and now as a result.  So I figured, one of the best ways to get yourself under control and get some accountability is to tell other people.  I don't want to always hit the fast forward button.  I want to enjoy today.

It started this morning when a friend posted a photo of a gorgeous fall scene.  Immediately, I had this intense desire for it to be fall.  To have pumpkins and mums on my porch again and to make things with pumpkin and cinnamon in them.  But the reality is that it is March, not October.  So my challenge is to figure out a way to enjoy March 7 with the same passion I enjoy fall days or the Christmas season.

I don't very often do this, but I want to hear from you.  What things do you do to enjoy the seemingly mundane days?  Or if you suffer from the same thing I do, how will you begin to try to live differently?  I'm not sure how, but I'd like to add a bit of the passion I have for the end of the year to the beginning and middle.  I look forward to hearing from you.

7 comments:

  1. I am a summer/fall kinda girl. I can't wait for it to get here and I'm having difficulty getting thorough these dreary days. It gets to be kind of depressing. Sometimes we'll go out and go bowling or something like that but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. i wish it were summer, and I can't wait for october 22 to get here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes I think it is ok to dream a little of what's to come, to get through the dreary days. just don't forget to look around and see all the blessings of this season...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some things that are so very very "new" in March and April. Although its easy (especially in your neck of the woods) to see the world as the same thing all the time (imagine a dull monotone voice for that last part), there are new things happening. Soon the birds will be back, and you'll hear them. Soon water will be water again and not ice, and you'll see new streams and puddles. Soon green will be seen again. Look for what is "new" about your day, whether its progress in someone's life, or the outdoors. Thats what I try to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to appreciate the things in my life that I'll be longing for when it's a different season in my life. For instance, I was very thankful this morning to sleep in, because when I'm a mom that's just not going to happen. Even cold, rainy March days turn into a gift when I think of how miserably hot it's going to be in July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh...good, thought-provoking question. I guess when I get up in the morning I try to think of at least one "fun" thing I'm going to get to do that day. Sometimes it's even something really little, but it puts me in a better mood for the day (since, as you know, I am not a morning person!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hard time with this too! Often I just have to remind myself that god has something in store for me right now in this season and just to enjoy it! Ex- it was so easy when I was pregnant to just want Everett to get here- but there are times now that I miss life growing inside me. So enjoy today and this week and this season knowing that the lord is miraculously creating something inside you!!! You'll miss it later :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like to miss anything. When I was a girl I would stand on the hump in the backseat (there were no seat belt laws then and I also had 3 older siblings taking up the seat) so that I could see out and not miss anything. I never enjoyed sleeping in or going to bed early because I might miss something. When I start getting ahead of myself I try to remember that if life is fast forwarded, I might miss something special that God has designed just for me. Some of the best things in my life are the little moments in between big ones. If we fast-forwarded to Fall, I would have missed the shoulder to shoulder time I spent with you on my birthday...or the chance to see if maybe this year I can catch the trees in their quick change act between buds and leaves...I somehow always miss that step. I don't want to swish past any chance I have to laugh with you or watch Josh make you smile. Every day of your life has been precious to me so far. Please don't wish any of it away. I might miss something!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to read what others have to say!