Remember when you were a little kid and your mom would set a timer for you to do certain tasks. For me it was my mom saying I'm going to set the timer for x number of minutes and you need to: clean your room, practice your piano or french horn (should've practiced harder!), or work on some other task that was undesirable until the timer goes off. I don't remember being put in time out as a child but the same principle applies, you need to stay in time out until the timer goes off.
 |
My handy timer (taken with my phone, sorry for the blur)
|
There are times that I remind myself of the child version of me. I have trouble focusing and it is so hard sometimes to do what I have to do when other things seem so much more interesting. I often set my timer so that I don't get too distracted on my lunch break, to help me tackle a certain task for work (let me just see how much I can get done in 45 minutes of distraction-free work), or to help me with the dreaded task of cleaning my house. I also sometimes use it for things that I like to do but can only spend a certain amount of time doing like sewing, making cards, or vegging and doing nothing.
It helps to know that, when you are working on something you don't want to do or that takes a lot of effort, there is an end goal. But sometimes I remind myself of the little kid I used to be when I'm waiting on the figurative timer in my life to go off, like I'm in that part of life when I didn't really understand the concept of time and had to trust that the timer would go off when it was supposed to. I'm working on the tasks that God has set for me to do, to be patient, to remain faithful, to serve despite difficult circumstances, and to wait on his timing (for so many things). I don't know when the timer will go off for this season of tasks I've been asked to do and so I keep reminding myself that I have work to do until the timer goes off, is reset, and its time for me to work on something else that has been set before me.
Well, the timer is beeping, time for the next task in my day.
Love this!
ReplyDeletebut isn't living in the moment so hard to do? it's always this constant, what i need to get done tomorrow, what i should have gotten done by now, or what didn't happen in the past that i thought would. it's so hard to stay focused on what i should be doing right now.
ReplyDeletemaybe i should buy a timer =)