This morning the glare of my computer screen is making me squint as I look at it through puffy eyes. Yesterday was one of my lowest days in the four months since Grant was born. I wasn't sure that I was going to share this yesterday, but today I feel strongly that I'm supposed to share. I'm not sure if the purpose is just for me to get it out there or if someone else needs to read it, but I feel strongly that I should write it down. I'm going to be honest about my feelings, I know that some of my feelings are just that, feelings, not necessarily what I know to be true. I hope that makes sense.
Throughout September I was very hopeful that I would find out this first week of October that I was pregnant. I thought it would be such a nice treat to find out during, what I knew was probably going to be a difficult month, that we were beginning our journey again. If I'm completely honest, I thought that it would only be fair that we would find out we were pregnant in October. Yesterday, it became apparent that this hope, this dream was not going to come true. I felt devastated, disappointed, and low. My initial reaction was that I wanted to crawl into a hole. I'm not sure what kind of hole because I don't really like tight spaces or dirt.
I can't necessarily explain what I was feeling so sad about. Probably different things at different times. Another month of waiting. Not knowing what God's plan is. Feeling alone in our particular situation. Sadness that I was "supposed" to meet my son soon and bring him home, but he is no longer alive. Believing lies that I'll never be a mom. Stuff like that. Again, I'm not necessarily proud of some of my feelings, but they are real.
If you know me, you know I like to talk things out. I attribute the healing I've done through this process first to God's grace, mercy, and unfailing love and second to talking things out. So I talked. I typed. I cried. I text messaged. Pretty much covered all the forms of communication I have available to me. If you know me, I also like to listen. So I listened as well. I have so many wise people that I have the pleasure of talking with and knowing.
I'm a dreamer. But being a dreamer can be hard sometimes (though I wouldn't trade being a dreamer just because it can be disappointing at times). So often I have (I would venture to say that I'm not the only one), these great elaborate expectations even expectations that are small and don't seem like too much to ask. When things don't go how I expect them to, it can be devastating. But the truth is, just having expectations isn't faith. Saying I believe God is sovereign, that He is in control and still wanting to keep the reigns myself isn't faith. Placing requirements on God, "Ok God, if you would just make me pregnant before Grant's due date, then I'll be ok and this won't be so bad", isn't faith. But I don't want to live like this anymore. I'm not guaranteed anything in this life except that God is faithful, He has a plan, and it is a good plan. I don't have to understand it to know that it is good. I want to be in a place where (and clearly I'm not there yet, but I know I can be there and want to be there soon) I can be content knowing that God is in control, that not only will He take care of me, but that he wants to do big things in and through me, and His plan is better than anything I could've fashioned in my dreamer mind.
Your words brought me to tears this morning. I can relate to your feelings so easily. In the days and weeks after I lost Bahati, I had to continually remind myself that God is in control. Still now, over a year since I found out my little girl would not be my little girl, I am making demands of Him that I know will probably never be answered. I demand to know why we can't be at the end of that adoption instead of barely beginning another one. I demand to know why He thinks this is the best life for us. And I demand to know when it will cease to hurt. I blame Him, but cling to Him all at the same time.
ReplyDeleteI do believe He has a better plan for me than being the mother of Bahati, even though that seemed like the best it could get. For whatever reason, He is leading me through a different story than I would have told on my own, and I have to trust in His good heart and his faithful love.
Thank you for sharing your heart. Love and prayers for you, my friend.
Wow Tiana! Thank you for YOUR words. So thankful that God knows our hearts because he made them. He knows what is best and wants what is best even when it can seem painful. Praying for you and Michael.
ReplyDeleteYour ability to be so honest is such a gift. I think in our world today we all hide behind what we think others expect us to say and do...I think your blog will give freedom for people, including myself, to express our true feelings!
ReplyDeleteKeeping you in my prayers. My cousin lost her first child as well. She was about 1/2 way through pregnancy, delivered, and Abigail died within a day. God has since blessed her with Becca who is 2 and Leah, who was born early and had to fight for life for weeks, but is well now. You have a beautiful heart. You and Josh WILL be great parents. It can be so hard to wait for His timing and make sense of why things happen. It is awesome that you are sharing all of this- it helps others in many ways. God bless!
ReplyDeleteI like your openness---putting on paper the things that turn out to be JUST what another can identify with and realize that she is not alone in her hurt and grief. God is using you...
ReplyDeleteI'm always so torn as your friend. Wanting to see this situation resolved NOW, and feeling like I would do anything to rise up and save you somehow from hurting any more. But at the same time trusting that God is moving in your situation even as we speak, and knowing that His resolution is better than mine...and better than yours.
ReplyDeleteI cling to the knowledge that the deeper the pain gets, the deeper you are growing in relationship with Him. And I have full confidence that one day looking back, you will have gone so deep with Him and in Him, that you will thank him for all this pain.
What is impossible for us, is possible for Him, and with Him.
Oh my dear child...you can never replace Grant with another child. Continue to let God be all that you need right now. My heart aches for you as there is nothing like babies, toddlers, and then grown up children. I texted my son today...he is going to be 35 years old soon but I had to say, I love you so much, I love you so much, I love you sooooooooo much. I am not sure what he felt when he received the text but the truth is the truth. How must God have felt when He had to allow His only begotten son to die on the cross for each and everyone of us. I can't even begin to imagine. God only lends us our children...they all belong too Him. The pain you are going through at the loss of your son will be used by the Lord to reach out too others.
ReplyDeleteIn His Love,
Brenda